Friday, February 16, 2007

No Video Friday - Read a book!

Yesterday on T-Nation an interesting article from John Berardi was published. The article was a collection of speculations that John was making about different issues. He quoted some amazing statistics:

58% of the US adult population never reads another book after starting high school (this includes graduates and non-graduates).

33% of US high school graduates never read another book after high school.

42% of US college graduates never read another book after college.

70-80% of US households haven't purchased any books in the last year.

70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

57% of new books are not read to completion.


Do you fit in these statistics? Growing up I wasn't a huge reader but know I can't find enough time to read all the books I want to read. Jim Rohn always says it isn't the book you read that matters but the book you DIDN'T read.


So on a quest to read more books I've embarked on a speed reading course called "Eye-Q". I do it everyday (or every other day if I forget). In just over a week I have increased my reading speed by 400 words per minute (550 words per minute if I push it but I don't comprehend as well).

Last week I finished 2 books and 2 more books on tape. This week I have pick up a couple more. This is what's currently on my list for the weekend.

Under the Bar
The Magic of Thinking Big
My Unfinished Business

What are you reading this weekend? What is the book that you haven't read that will make a huge difference in your life??



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those stats are pathetic. I took my 9 year-old to a local bookstore the other day and he spent $30 of his own money on 6 books -- he finished them all in 7 days. There is still hope for our future.

BTW -- I just finished Carl Hiaasen's Flush. It didn't make me smarter but it was fun.